Director of Science -
SALARY: MPS/UPS plus Outer London Allowance and TLR 1c
Required for January 2021
We are seeking to appoint an exceptional Director of Science who can work collaboratively to drive further improvements in an already successful school. The sciences are an extremely popular choice at A Level and the department has a successful track record of students progressing to Oxbridge and Russell Group universities.
The successful candidate will be an outstanding classroom practitioner with a proven track record of success and the ability to achieve the best outcomes for all students.
The post-holder will have the exciting opportunity of setting up a cross-phase, science hub on behalf of Vanguard Learning Trust. Its purpose will be to promote students’ understanding of scientific inquiry in particular the importance of empirical evidence in the development of theories. The hub will provide opportunities for students to conduct primary research and attend symposiums. The post-holder should have firsthand experience of developing teachers’ subject knowledge and have the ability to lead programmes that support the enhancement of teachers’ pedagogical knowledge. The science hub will promote opportunities for students both in and out of the classroom; the post-holder will need to provide information through the application process in terms of how they have worked with scientific institutions such as the Wellcome Trust, STEM ambassadors, IRIS, Royal Society, Royal Institution. This is an exciting opportunity for a school leader who has focused primarily on the development of science throughout their career. The post-holder will need to demonstrate that they have the skills, knowledge and expertise to set up a science hub that inspires the next generation of students and teachers whilst promoting community engagement with some of the projects and initiative.
A salary on the leadership scale is negotiable for the right candidate.
The successful applicant will:
- be an effective and inspirational classroom teacher;
- have a track record of successful outcomes for students from a wide range of backgrounds;
- have a good understanding of the current educational developments, especially those relating to classroom based practice;
- have a passion for teaching, learning and professional development;
- have the ability to coach others to improve performance;
- have the highest expectations of students;
- have an enthusiastic and positive approach within and beyond the classroom;
- have energy, stamina and a sense of humour.
Ruislip High School is an outstanding, oversubscribed, 11-18, mixed comprehensive school with over one thousand students on roll. The school opened in 2006 due to the demand for secondary school places in the local community and we are currently undergoing an exciting phase of expansion, with a brand new sixth form centre opening in September 2020. We obtain excellent results: our summer 2019 GCSE results place the school in the top 25% of schools nationally; at A Level, 22% of all grades were A*/A grades and 7% of the cohort attained straight A*/A grades.
Why work at Ruislip High School?
- Students and staff treat each other with respect. They share high aspirations which are realised through high expectations of everyone.
- The school has a comprehensive professional development programme tailored to individual needs, from NQT to middle and senior leadership; new staff are supported and guided by highly skilled and experienced colleagues, and by partners in external organisations.
- Staff have a range of opportunities to collaborate and develop their career within the Vanguard Learning Trust.
- Staff are afforded many benefits and rewards as part of the Vanguard Learning Trust’s entitlement package for staff.
- There are excellent transport links with central London, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire and Berkshire.
In joining Ruislip High School you can expect to work in an environment that focuses on teachers improving, rather than proving, their practice; where teaching and learning is at the heart of everything we do; and where all staff work as a community to support our students to fulfil their potential in line with our school’s motto: from grass roots to reaching for the sky.
Applications should be returned to: Justine O’Driscoll, HR Manager, Ruislip High School, Sidmouth Drive, Ruislip, Middlesex HA4 0BY or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Monday 13th July 2020, 10:00am
Interview date: Wednesday 15th July 2020
This academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all members of staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS disclosure is required for all posts.
Ruislip High School is an equal opportunities employer.
Applications close Monday 13th July 2020